Saturday, June 24, 2006

A prolonged dinner




Thursday night is the day to unwind. For some of us, the weekend starts earlier. For an unexplain reason, the place we chose to have dinner had more humans in it than usual. Kudos to the owner for this but bad news for us hungry people I'm afraid. Its a quiet place with easy parking. ( Bonus points scored threefold ..as I HATE squishing the poor car into some weeny nook and hoping for the best. )

It started off ( as most dinners do ) with a great deal of anticipation. Good food, good company, a dollop of alcohol thrown in. As atmosphere goes, it was good. Dim lights hiding a multitude of crowsfeet and comfy chairs just the right height so I can have my feet touching the ground instead of dangling dangerously the entire evening.

We ordered tapas of various types...pate ...and for the main course..I opted for aglio olio ( creature of habit ). The tapas certainly took its time coming. We saw them arriving at a stately tempo....ie adante like. I eyed the tables around me suspiciously, had our tapas made its way to their table instead? No....afraid not.

As time dragged on, with no sight of the main course let alone those elusive tapas, conversation drew to a halt as we collectively wished the chef gangrenous toes and other dangly bits for making us wait this long. Just as I was about to pooh the spell out loud....fairy foorsteps proved that prayers do get answered sometimes. FOOD...finally. A hungry man is an angry man...or at the least a crabby man. As the warmth of the wine and food enveloped me, I decidedly became more chatty and I suspect so did the rest at the table.

Just as we thought our bad spell had ended, we were once again proven wrong. Coffee and profiterols....it took another hour before we saw them both. I arrived home a little past midnight. A prolonged dinner INDEED.

No comments: