Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry potter and the price war in Malaysia


Due to the korean-bug...I decided to stay home the entire morning on Saturday in my jim jams. Was obsessed with finishing the drama series that I decided to leave buying Harry Potter to mid week. I don't read the papers. ( Am shallow that way...) So I was totally oblivious to the price war happening in Malaysia. I did find it odd, when I went to TIMES bookstore in Plaza Damas and found not a single Harry Potter book in sight. The cashier was wearing a harry potter T-shirt. I assumed ( naively ) that the books had been sold out.
It wasn't until a good friend called...to ask whether I knew what the hype was..and offered ( bless her soul ) to buy it for me from TESCO.
MPH, TIMES, POPULAR and HARRIS have decided not to sell the book. Carrefor and Tesco have undercut the market prize selling the deathly hallows at 69.90 instead of 109.90 ringgit. Read it here!

5 comments:

Anna, Fair and True said...

It's the same thing in Sweden. The supermarkets are selling them really cheap, which means the bookstore are selling at a loss.

edina monsoon said...

Hmm I wonder how much money the bookstores will lose. Btw any intention of reading the book??

Anna, Fair and True said...

I haven't actually read the other ones yet...I know...embarrassing... I have seen the films though and I saw the latest one last Saturday. And I'm intending to read all of them at some point.

3e said...

No price war in HK - some bookstores even hold HP party!

edina monsoon said...

anna: nothing embarrasing about it. Certainly don't let the masses dictate what you read.

elaine: wooHoo. TIMES has started selling harry potter. Saw it on the shelves just now