Sunday, August 31, 2008

I need to ventilate...

My lungs are choked with smoke. I was surrounded by smoke during breakfast this morning. There was seriously no place in the restaurant not occupied by a SMOKER.
And so this morning, I'm ranting and raving about smokers in general and smokers at THAT mamak stall in particular. At this very moment, I have very little, in fact NO SYMPATHY for COPD sufferers who chain-smoke their way to death...bringing US along with them. It's not the actual smoke that I'm bothered about..but the wheeze which follows the immediate exposure.
And so to those who smoked around me today...I hope you rot. Or at least have some form of scare so you'll kick this disgusting habit. I'm back home in my smoke-free zone...taking deep breaths..while waiting for the tighteness to dissipate.
Smokers..please be considerate to those around you. Some of us really can't be surrounded by smoke. Never mind the higher risk of cancer...I'm more concerned with more immediate side effects.

4 comments:

fibrate said...

Well some people (patients!) even have the audacity to smoke in the ward's toilet. So disgusting.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

It's only been in the last year, here, that smoking has been banned from inside all eating and drinking establishments. It is wonderful. Unfortunately, it's still ok to smoke outside, so my enjoyable outdoor cafe's are now inundated with smokers, and it's impossible to sit outside.

I agree with you, it's terrible. I can sometimes even smell the smoke of the guy that's sitting in the car ahead of me...you know, he blows smoke out the window, then I end up driving through it and it comes into mine. Grrrr

edina monsoon said...

fibrate: I don't visit the ward toilets at all...so can't say for sure whether our patients are guilty of this. Probably are.

gnightgirl: Thank you for sharing my sentiments. I did think whether I went overboard with my last entry. But oh boy..I was really mad that morning. A perfectly good Sunday morning breakfast spoilt by smoke. In Malaysia some restaurants still allow folks to smoke...indoors. The non-smoking area is literally in the same room tucked at the opposite end. ( How this works..I have no idea)

YY Ong LTR! said...

wow, u are a resp physician then. Tot I saw u few times in UKM medical wards when I was doing selective few weeks back. cuz I saw Jimbo mentioning you in his blog.Then, only I know. GLAD To meet u. Cheers.