Sunday, April 12, 2009

Hungry Monk

Picture from keith's images
Pies from Ms Read.
In this picture, there lies two Banoffi pies ( one slightly squished en route from shop to home) . The chocolate pieces placed delicately are an attempt by he-who-must-not-be- named at decorating this dish. Have you noticed the title isn't Banoffi pie? In 1972, Nigel Mackenzie from Eastbourne created this pie. He got miffed when others tried to palm it off as theirs. He must have gone on to regret never patenting it. For a while, people were made to believe it was an American pie. And in 1994, he got an apology out of Marks and Spencers for selling it under the american range of pies. Mackenzie's restaurant is called the Hungry Monk:)And outside it, he's stuck a blue badge as proof the pie originated here and nowhere else. What a story indeed.

Click here for one of the many recipes I found in the net.

2 comments:

Anna, Fair and True said...

I have never actually tried it but I know what it is of course. I have always assumed it was British.

edina monsoon said...

Yes me too. ( The british part I mean). It's nice cos it's not too sweet...and the consistency is smoothy mushy.