This post is for a friend in New Zealand ( you KNOW who you are..) who has requested for recommendations on what to read in 2009. Off the top of my head here's a list of what i think SHOULD be on your reading list.
- Maeve Binchey's "Heart and Soul" . Binchey's Irish. The reason why I say this is I'm partial to Irish authors. Only they...can tweak your heart strings and get them tears going just at the right moment. Not too much mind..but just enuff. Unlike Piccoult , who tends to do too deep into the emotional bits leaving the reader ( me that is ) drained ...Binchey strikes a fine balance. If you're thinking of reading Heart and Soul....I think you should pick up Scarlet Feather first. ( The characters in S. Feather feature in Heart and Soul too.) But there's no hard and fast rule.
- A vicarage family by Noel Streatfield. It's semi autobiographical book. I thought it was very good. But it's an old book. And you may have some trouble getting your hands on it.
- Things I want my daughter to know. By Elizabeth Noble. I picked this up because it was on sale at TIME. Surprisingly insightful and if you're a mum..you'ld enjoy it that bit more I think. Got it for RM 35.( with some further discount )
- A friend of the family by Lisa Jewel. Fairly recent book. YOu shouldn't have trouble getting it from any bookstore. I got mine from a warehouse sale. One of those ones...where you take a chance simply because it's heavily discounted. Once again a very good read I thought.
- And if you haven't read any of Melissa Hill's book....please please try one. There's always a pleasing twist in her story line. She hasn't written that many and they are not inter-related so you can read them in any order.