Thursday, October 27, 2005

How do you remember roads?

I've always found it helpful to remember landmarks. For instance...you'ld see a "celcom" advert just before you take the wee tunnel and then you'ld be keeping to your left ( with the Shell petrol station on your left ) until you reach the "chinese assembly hall" which is a white building on your left where you'ld turn left...and then there's a bus stop on your left just after you turn where you would loop around and squeeze into the left lane again where you would go up and then you'ld want to keep straight on....

That's part of my directions to friends on how to get back to my place. I wonder how everyone else would say it? BTW road names are absolutely uselesss. Where is Jalan Hang Jebat in relation to Jalan Tun Razak for instance.

5 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

You're going to think I'm crazy, but I have a landmark for my own house! I live among a string of connected townhouses, and they all look alike; I'm embarrassed to say I've turned into the neighbor's driveway more than once, while acclimating to my new neighborhood.

Now, I know, "turn at the mailbox, turn at the mailbox."

I otherwise have no sense of direction. I have a friend who tells me "well, just look at the sun." After calculating if it rises in the east or west, and where north and south are in proximity to those directions...I just fall down.

The Aunt said...

They say that in Dublin, the old ladies give directions by using the churches as landmarks ("sure now you go right until St. Patrick's and then left until St James etc etc) and the old men do it by pubs "And it's O'Reilly's on your right, and the Kitty O'Shea on your left, and you'll be right opposite Flanagan's".

edina monsoon said...

gnightgirl: I've had to remind self...turn after the tunnel ...the first two weeks driving to work.

marianne: hahah you're right...these things rubbed off..I remember telling someone...you'ld be turning left after the cathedral...( when I was a student in ireland )

Intan @ mama ammar said...

Edina, I drive around KL like second nature, yet I not know the name of the road I am driving on. With exception to Jalan TAR of course!

edina monsoon said...

Kirana: Jalan Tun Razak...I bet you KNOW this road:) But you're right...road names mean nothing in KL. MOre useful to say it in relation to say...a building.