Thursday, October 20, 2005

Public transport


Public transport makes me cringe. It brings to mind sweaty armpits and fat hairy men. I 'm not sure why it appears in this combination but it does. KL Sentral was buzzing with people this evening. It had rained earlier in the day and the downpour had fizzled into one of those mist-like-spray.I love gloomy evenings.....especially after a rain. It's like the sky has had a good cry and is all ready to go. Malaysians tend to moan about taking public transport. Well, for those of you who insist public transport is shitty....( as Jennifer aniston would say ) "TURN THE PAGE".

My trip to Midvalley shopping mall was painless. If I'd driven, finding a park would have made me crabby for sure. I used my "touch and go" card for the kommuter for the first time ever this evening. Exciting!!I touched....and ....it beeped twice ( there were instructions written thankfully ) and the gate swung open. I certainly got a great big buzz from this new unfamilliar technology. One of the things which amuses me is the ability of small things to make me feel good. This being a classic example of a feel-good-factor arising from a simple task.I might just begin taking public transport now.

5 comments:

The Aunt said...

Hey there!

I'd take public transport, I would, if only it didn't have the public on it!

Anna, Fair and True said...

The public transport in Sweden functions very well and I don't mind taking it every day at all. People complain and moan of course but the truth is that it runs on time 96 % of the time and it's reasonably clean and quiet. And it's environmentally friendly!

edina monsoon said...

Aunty marianne: Yeap. Brushing arms with the "common" people is an adventure not many would seek. I'm game....when the mood suits me. But somehow the comfort of my own car...is nicer MOST days

edina monsoon said...

Anna:I've heard ( correct me if I'm wrong ) that the cars in sweden and presumably the drivers behind them are incredibly well-behaved. Is that true? I'm going to migrate there if its true. Cos malaysian drivers are sometimes very trying

Anna, Fair and True said...

Well, Swedish drivers are pretty civil I think, though e.g. American drivers are even nicer, letting you slide into another lane, keeping speed limits, etc. Swedish drivers insist on driving in the middle lane so that faster cars have to sometimes overturn in the right lane.