Monday, March 13, 2006

Tasty tasty


To celebrate the impending marriage of a cousin,we got together for dinner in uptown Damansara. I still have no idea where that is but if memory serves me correctly, it is near enough One Utama. Being a typical female, I use landmarks and what better one than a big shopping complex.


The food was awful! You can see for yourself. The first dish was a shocker. There was a silence as that dish walked its way towards our table. ( We were the only ones seated upstairs ) The fish was good but the rest of what was in the dish was merely palatable. I've heard of this Hakka delicacy before...apparently you eat from top-most downwards and it feeds a family of ten or more.




The soup consisted of tau foo bathed in greenish substance. I honestly thought the cook had unleashed her under five granddaughter into the kitchen. The soup was followed by the cook. ( who beamed expectantly and so we slurped the soup down bravely.) It tasted much better than it looked. Never judge a soup by its colour.


The other dish featured was chicken. Covered liberally with spring onion...the taste of which is still in the mouth.

It was very nice meeting the family. Perhaps the next time we'll have more conventional food.

My review of Tasty Tasty...is a two thumbs down I'm afraid.
 Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Jimbo said...

I am Hakka and even I don't fancy eating what you showed! Ugh!

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I didn't think that stuff looked SO bad until I blew them up...everything has eyes! I've never eaten an eye!

Ok, I'll take your word for it and steer clear of this place.

edina monsoon said...

Jimbo: Ohhhh..I never knew you were Hakka. Go research and tell us more of this please.

Gnightgirl: Hahha And we HAD TO EAT IT. Or risk looking like fussy relatives. Tut! tut! the things we do for family harmony sometimes.

Jimbo said...

Hakkas were a nomadic tribe in China. So their food traditionally consist of mainly preserved food and anything they can pick up along the way.....which may explain the green soup...did u see any bald patch on the field outside the restaurant?!

edina monsoon said...

Jimbo: No bald patches in the vicinity so what we had was IMPORTED posh green tosh I guess.

Piffles said...

the green colour soup is scary. made me think of fanta green. ;P

The Aunt said...

Was the chicken even cooked?

*shudder*

3e said...

The first dish looks something similar to what we call "pun choi" in HK. This dish has become very popular the last couple of years and it originates from Hakka settlers in New Territories.

Read more about this...
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/touring/hkiidistricts/ta_dist_yuen3.jhtml

http://www.hktrampers.com/Mambo/content/view/34/24/

edina monsoon said...

aunty marianne: Yes it was cooked alright. Otherwise I wouldn't have touched it with a barge pole:)

Lasez:Aaaah Pun Choi. FInally a name to this dish. Thanks.