Friday, November 24, 2006

Marmite sandwich


Did you know that marmite is made of...

Yeast Extract
Salt
Vegetable Extract
Vitamin: Niacin
Spices
Vitamins: B1, B2, Folic Acid, B12 .


Fancy that! I 've reaquainted myself with the joys of marmite. It's yummy. I dun have a toaster so I've made do with plain ole marmite sandwich every morning. This natural by-product of brewer's yeast taste salty and it gooey when you dig it out of the yellow-lid jar. My secret to getting just the right amount on your bread slice is simple...use a teaspoon...dip it in...and then let it trickle down....until just 3/4 of the spoon is covered in marmite. Then you spread it ...thinly. Here's the dodgy part....too much marmite will leave you thirsty and crabby. Too little and you wonder what the fuss is all about. Just the right amount ...teamed with hot coffee is my idea of a perfect breakfast.
( use a separate utensil for butter/marg and marmite...nothing is more rude than leaving crumbs in the marmite jar. )

3 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I don't even know if I have access to marmite here. The ingredient list doesn't look terribly ... appealing, I must say.

Anna, Fair and True said...

Yuck!

edina monsoon said...

gnightgirl: Its absolutely LOVELY. trust me on this. Aaah go on and try it.

Anna: Tsk Tsk tsk. Although I musta admit, marmite doesn't take good pictures. It tastes much better than it looks. TRUST me.