Tuesday, November 21, 2006

We live for coffee breaks


I did a very stoopid thing two days ago. After a carbohydrate laden lunch, I drove home in an extremely sluggish state. Have you ever driven in such a state? Its a horrible feeling. Your eye-lids feel like lead. To counter-act this, I talked to self in the car, looking like a mad woman. ( WHo cares!!! In the name of road safety..I think this is justified)

Anyway, I parked the car at the carpark and walked down a few flight of stairs. I thought the journey shorter than usual. Slept like a baby. Woke up at 5pm with a dry mouth ( ahem) and a nagging right-sided headache which was a great excuse to NOT do any work.

The next morning, I beeped the front door of the condo and proceeded to car park. The thing is I couldn't find my car. At the very spot where it should have been....there was this huge empty spot. I had the usual tachycardia and cold sweat and an overwhelming sense of doom. Mentally I ticked off the list of things in car which was precious. I calmed down when i realised..apart from the car itself..I had nothing else of value in it.

For 10 seconds I saw my world spinning around me haphazardly. Let me just say ten seconds is a mighty long time. The thing is, I'd parked my car at an identical carspot ONE FLOOR below. I walked down two flights of stairs to find it sitting where I'd left it yesterday afternoon.

Now isn't that just about the silliest thing to have done?? And the picture above is our coffee mugs...lined up. Usually somebody does the job of pouring them instant two-in-on coffes in before the hot water. Our coffee break ritual. Maybe I should have taken coffee that day. Sure would have saved me a lot of bother.

12 comments:

kenju said...

I know all about that carbohydrate stupor, and I find myself in it all too often. I have to drive with the windows down so the blowing air can keep me awake.

Fred said...

I've never had a cup of coffee. How weird is that?

just me said...

I have had lapses of memory on where I have parked my car before too even though I drank coffee! And I thought the car had been stolen!

Jimbo said...

Had it happen to me a lot of times, in those darn megamalls! Nearly gave myself multiple heart attacks!

Anna, Fair and True said...

Fred - yes, that's weird! ;)

I wonder if the person who usually parks his or her car in your spot noticed!

Anna, Fair and True said...

I meant in that spot, not in your regular spot of course.

edina monsoon said...

Kenju: Driving with the windows down and air blowing makes me even sleepier. ( Tried that two years back and nearly drove off the road ) I find the blowing air oddly soothing.

Fred: that is W-E-I-R-D!!! Dare I suggest starbuck's caffe latte. It's yummy. And please dun add sugar. It mars the taste.

justme: Oh dear oh dear. So then perhaps it IS my bad memory and not the caffeine withdrawal. Disturbing!!

Jumbo: Oddly in carparks I'm usually quite good. Havent "lost" the car that way yet. I suppose the minute I write this down...I'ld probably lose the car the next time I go shopping.

Anna: THANKFUlly. ( and I really am thankful ) it was
a) an empty spot?
b) the car owner didnt come home that day
c) the car owner also had a lapse in memory and parked elsewhere.

The Aunt said...

I once reported my car stolen, when in fact I couldn't see it because it was covered with snow.

edina monsoon said...

aunty marianne: Haw haw haw. Really? jeepers that MUST have been a tad embarrassing. What happened next pray tell????

Unknown said...

Happened to me before too... it was late at night after a movie... lagi lah terkejut, cos so believable!

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Have you ever approached the wrong car, but one just like yours, in the parking lot, and wonder why you can't get into it? ::blush::

OK. Why are all of this pitchers behind the coffee cups, and is that water in them?

edina monsoon said...

gnightgirl: I haven't done THAT. But my mum did that a few years back. She got in a car and said.." okay let's go" only to realise she hadn't a clue who the people. The car was parked outside the house. She was waiting for her ride.

The pitchers contain water and each pitcher belongs to an individual. If you peek carefully I think there might be the bed numbers written on them. This was taken at work. Hence the shabby enviroment.