Monday, November 05, 2007

Book Review...number 1


The picture isn't the best. I had every intention of taking my own picture...much clearer but I've only just realised I left the book at work. Anita Shreve...what do I know about her? At this moment of writing nothing at all. I'd seen this in hardcover as early as last year. Remember it clearly....it was on the shelf in Kinokuniya and I thought...nice bookcover. ( Yes I am THAT shallow at times..) As with MOST books in kinokuniya it was wrapped in cellophane and so I left it.
Every once in a few months, I go into a certain kind of mood. Not sure how to describe it. It's a mood where you get fed up with your usual books and are eager to break away from the norm. This is how I came to read this book.
The first page wasn't that appealing...it starts off by a description of the hills far away. I don't like books starting off like that. If you are patient and read on....the story unfolds in a very pleasing way. It's like watching a nice movie where you 're sunk into the sofa with a cup of tea....sipping slowly and watching the tale unfold more and more. Shreve weaves a make-believe tale into this story. Initially I hated that. Found it distracting....and wanted to hurry through the paragraphs. I'm glad I persevered. Even though it becomes fairly predictable towards the end the middle bit of the work makes you eager to read on. I enjoyed it. And would buy another Shreve book some time soon.

No comments: