Saturday, April 08, 2017

UMMC

Ummc from afar
Today the roles were reversed. I got to visit another university hospital ( not the one I'm working in) as a patient's visitor rather than a doctor. For starters,my usual trips here are as examiner so we have transport and don't have to worry about parking. Plus there is usually a group of us getting lost together as we make our way through the maze that is UMMC passing clinic patients and long corridors before being greeted with our fellow colleagues at the other end all smiles and welcoming.

Today's visit was different. I used the parking and found it easy enough to get a spot but had to pass through a very narrow spot before I got to my spot. I drove through saying a little prayer.  Then I got lost at the car park and a very kind lady ( bless her) said to follow her ( which I did ) and we went down the stairs together and passed through casualty and walked across some barricades and finally found ourselves at Menara Utama. What a walk. I'm afraid I started worrying at this point whether I would ever find my car on my journey back.
Had to squeeze through a very narrow place before getting to this spot
 This was my spot. A lucky find. And yes my parking and driving skills are amazing. Cos the car wasn't scratched and I parked in one single go. Really!
Got confused and used the stairs instead
 Here are signs at the lift. With little else to guide us. I now realise signages are very important .
Nice tunnel
I don't remember the tunnel being so nice. So I'm guessing this is a new thing. Don't you think it's bright and cheerful?

A dear friend's mother is admitted and she is dying. This was the reason for visiting. So here is what I found. Everyone speaks English in UMMC. The guards are polite. The visitors gel with each other because they share a common bond of visiting a sick relative or friend. Everyone is polite and helpful.

The nurses are generally friendly and helpful. They are quite firm about wearing gowns and gloves and hand washing. Its different to be on the other side. No wide smiles and no greetings.

I realise in public service, a simple extra smile goes a long way to make someone feel warm and happy.

No comments: