Thursday, October 09, 2014

Sendlinger Tor

Sendlinger Tor
A long long time ago, a medieval wall surrounded Munich. Its purpose was to protect the city from invaders. Many many many years later.....we still have evidence of these walls....maybe not all of them. Sendlinger Tor is one of the three remaining gothic town gates in Munich. The oldest and the southernmost of the three. The other two being Isator and Karlstor. This gate was built around 1318. ( So its very old you see ) This gate marks the beginning of a shopping street called Sendlingerstrasse which leads to Marienplatz. I found this place on day 1 by walking and walking and walking and walking. And all these pictures were taken before I knew they were famous. Which is the way I like to do things. Snap first and savour them later.

What you see as you walk thru
 The shopping street awaits me as I cross the arch. Woohooohooo! Gorgeous weather. Again you can see this from all the pictures in this post. It made walking about a joy. ( Although I did pack my umbrella and lugged it with me the entire time)
U-Bahn Station

No comments: