Saturday, March 04, 2017

Angela Brazil

Picture from Abebooks
Do you like browsing at a second hand bookstores? It is the possibility of finding a book by an unknown ( to you ) author and later when you get home enjoying the book so much you have a warm glow as you read it. Angela Brazil isn't sold in Kinokuniya or MPH or TIME or Borders. I never heard of her until I bought this book at a second bookstore in Ireland.

Stepping into the world off Angela Brazil is a different experience. A good different and to me it showed me  a  different world of boarding school stories. "The Youngest girl in the fifth" was my first Brazil book. Since  then I've found her books on Project Guthernberg.

What I especially like from this book is a lovely prayer by Phillips Brooks.

This prayer has inspired me during some of my dark periods.

"O do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers; pray for powers equal to your tasks. Then the doing of your work shall be no miracle. But you shall be a miracle. Every day you shall wonder at yourself, at the richness of life which has come to you by the Grace of God."

Phillips Brooks.

No comments: